
According to the latest sources, the Italian ambassador to the Democratic Republic of Congo died on Monday 22 February 2021. This happened when a UN convoy came under attack in the troubled east. DRC sources and the government in Rome gave this statement.
Officials On The Death Of Italian Ambassador
A senior diplomatic source said this in Kinshasa. The ambassador is identified as Luca Attanasio. He died of his wounds after a World Food Programme (WFP) convoy came under fire near Goma. Major Guillaume Djike, the army’s spokesman in North Kivu province told AFP that two others have also died in the attack. However, some other sources say that those two were the envoy’s driver and bodyguard. So basically, the death of other peopel is still a mystery. Although the other two deaths are still somewhat mysterious, the Italian foreign ministry in Rome confirmed Attanasio’s death. They also said that an Italian policeman died as well in this incident.
More Light On The Incident
DRC appointed the Italian ambassador in early 2018. He suffered gunshot wounds to the abdomen and the authorities on the spot rushed him to a hospital in Goma. Luca’s condition at that time was really critical. The diplomat in Kinshasa revealed all these information. It’s believed that the ambassador’s death was a result of a kidnapping attempt. According to the foreign ministry, the ambassador and an Italian Carabinieri died (were killed) while traveling in Congo in a UN envoy.
Search Operation
The DRC’s army says that their troops are searching the area for the assailants but still no luck. There’s still some chance of catching the culprits, but the chances are slim. A vast country the size of continental western Europe, the DRC is grappling with numerous conflicts, especially in its remote, mineral-rich east.
More Details About The Italian Ambassador
Scores of militias roam the four eastern provinces, many of them a legacy of wars in the 1990s that sucked in countries around central-southern Africa and claimed millions of lives. Monday’s attack occurred north of Goma — a region that includes the UNESCO-listed Virunga National Park, which has also been troubled by violence. The UN’s refugee agency, the UNHCR, said last week that more than 2,000 civilians were killed in North and South Kivu and Ituri last year. The UN Peacekeeping mission, known by its acronym MONUSCO, has been working to draw down its 15,000-troop presence and transfer its security work to Congolese authorities.

Conclusion
It’s still unknown whether it was a planned murder and who was the mastermind behind it. However, by taking a look at the incident at first, it clearly looks like a planned murder. But since the experts believe that the original plan was to kidnap the victim, it becomes a mystery whether the plan was to kidnap or kill the person in the first place. The officials are busy in the investigation. But it’s clear that the incident has triggered a buzz in the entire world. Also, the other people died along with the ambassador. Were they a target too, or were they at the wrong place at the wrong time. It’s still unknown. Keep reading fameaside for the more latest news.
More Stories
Miami Breakdown: Remaining Building Destroyed Over Safety Concerns
Canadian Military on Standby as Lightning Triggers More Wildfires
Florida Building Collapse: Nine Declared Dead as the Hunt for Survivors Persists